Scary For Kids

If you were a kid in the 80s or 90s I am sure you can all agree some of the subjects below either use to fascinate or scare the bejeezus out of you. Kids love horror. My fingers hurt from staying up all night and writing so I am going to keep some of this short....for now.





OMGZZZZ it's the Midnight Society!!!! My brothers and I were heavy into this series for the first few seasons but then they brought on a new cast and we don't like change. Are You Afraid of the Dark was a ridiculously awesome but juvenile show on Nickelodeon about a group of kids that meet each other at a campfire and tell scary stories. This was so long ago, it's hard to remember all of the stories. I remember an effective episode about a little girl that gets stuck in a doll house. Man, my friend Andy loved that episode. He taped it and we would watch it over and over. I remember a little ghost girl in a house that was all, "HELP ME!" in a mirror and only one girl could see her. The shows original run would last from 1992 to 2000. It ran during this thing called 'SNICK' which was for Nickelodeon Teens. Other shows running along with it were; Clarissa Explains It All, Ren and Stimpy, Roundhouse (OMG remember that fucking show?) and The Secret World of Alex Mac.




Rachel Blanchard was my favorite, as Kristen. You can see her in films like; The Rage Carrie II, Sugar and Spice, and Road Trip. She's gorgeous.




Dudes, I remember that clown in this episode being a lot scarier. Really? This is what it looked like? Why is it that everything is much scarier when we are kids?





Ah, The Lady in White. Classic film. I try to watch it now but it's too ridiculous now...I guess. It use to scare the crap out of me. That and Lucas Haas is one creepy little dude. So any who, this film was a 1988 film about a boy who is locked in a school closet during Halloween 1962. He witnesses the ghost of a little girl and the man who murdered her years ago. Soon after, he is stalked by the killer and is soon drawn to an old house where a mysterious Lady in White lives. As he discovers the secret of the woman he soon finds that the killer may be someone close to him.

The film is based on a popular and long-standing local urban legend known as "The White Lady." Legend has it that the White Lady had a daughter who disappeared at the hands of a predatory young suitor, and so the White Lady roams the lake front to this very day, searching for her missing daughter. The supposed residence of the White Lady is actually the base of a demolished hotel that was built in the 1800s. Known as the White Lady's Castle, it has become a popular tourist attraction and party site for teenagers.



I remember that little ghost girl. Man oh man, I'm not even kidding. This movie really scared me.





I remember when I was still in Elementary School we watched this film called Watcher in the Woods. Pictures of the film are above. The scariest thing about this film is Bette Davis and her old crinkled face. OH...MY...GAWD!

"Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark" is a series of three children's books written by Alvin Schwartz and illustrated by Luis Erique, Daniel Urena, and Stephen Gammell. The scary stories of the title are pieces of folklore and urban legends collected and adapted by Schwartz. The titles of the books are: "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" (1981), "More Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark" (1984), and "Scary Stories 3 : More Tales to Chill Your Bones" (1991).

There were a lot of typical urban legend stories in the book like; The Hook, High Beams, and The Babysitter but there were also some interesting original tales that creeped me out. Honestly, I think it was the art work that creeped me out. I mean, take a lot at some of this art down below. It's pretty fucking grim…especially for kids. I was in 5th grade when I found these books in the library.


For years I had forgotten the titles of the books but thanks to google I came across pictures and descriptions and now I am a happy lamb. The story that stood out to me the most was about a girl who stands on a grave and gets sucked in by the dead body. I believe it's called, "Don't stand on a grave after dark." Photo down below. I've heard and read different variations of this story. In another story like it, two girls are telling ghost stories and one of the girls says if you stick a knife in a grave you will get pulled in. The other girl did so. Apparently, the knife got stuck in her knife gown which made her stick to the grave. She died of shock and her hair turned white. Man, these books were so amazing. I need to buy them.


More books you might remember are RL Stine's Goosebumps. Sixty-two of these books were published from 1992 to 1997. As of 2008, the books have sold over 350 million books world wide in 35 languages and they have become best sellers. Remember the tv show? I do remember the only one I watched was The Mask. The Night of the Dummy editions were the scariest in my opinion.


Legend wasn't really scary to me. It scared a lot of my friends but I was so in love with the romance of the film....I wouldn't allow myself to be scared. Plus, they had magical fairies and these other little dudes....not sure if they were elves or fairies. The scariest thing was that disgusting witch in the swamp that wants to eat Tom Cruise. Oh lawd.

 Aren't they cute? Kind of? Maybe? Perhaps? I think so....at least before they get bigger and bigger after they eat you! I thought it was adorable that they roll into balls! How cuteeee!@#$%$#@!@#$% I am talking about the ridiculous film Critters by the way. Not as awesome as Gremlins but it has Dee Wallace and alien action going on.




I totally don't remember anything about The Dark Crystal expect for how creepy it was. I saw it like one time and haven't seen it since. Maybe I should get a copy.

I am still convinced that Gizmo is the cutest thing IN THE WORLD! Try to argue with me. I will kill you. Look at that fucking face! He sings and talks too. Unfortunately, if you spill water on him, out jumps all these other not so cute Gizmos. Feed them after midnight and they get even uglier. Meaner, greener, and well you get the picture. I am talking about the movie Gremlins.

You look like a pumpkin, bitch. SOMEBODY CALL CHARLIE BROWN, WE FOUND THE GREAT PUMPKIN! Oh wait, that's a different film. It's The Halloween Tree! It's a 1993 film based on a book publish in the early 70s. I remember watching this movie a lot but I cannot remember too much about it. 



Holy fuck! It's Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

 I have The Monster Squad on DVD now and it's not as amazing as I remember it. It's being remade, boo. What isn't though am I right?

 My brother's played Resident Evil constantly. The game came out 1996. Even though the graphics seem poor now, they were pretty amazing then on Playstation. I would watch my brothers play it as if it were a film.

I remember that giant snake, the herbs, zombie dogs barking and trying to attack everytime you try to leave the mansion, the bazooka, etc....

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I remember being scared by most of this stuff when I was younger too. The clown from Are You Afraid of The Dark is the thing most people remember about that show. :)

    ReplyDelete

Think before you post

.post-body.entry-content div div { display: none !important; }