Savage Streets


This film takes the cake when it comes to 80s exploitation. The ingredients; Violence, high school comedy, gang war, rape, revenge, cheese ball dialogue, and a killer electronic soundtrack with an over the top power ballad. The only missing ingredient is flesh eating zombies. The clothes and hair are as over the top as the ballad. That's the 80s for you. Everything is bigger! Even the tits are big. It's a total rip off of Death Wish but this doesn't bother me because I'm a bigger Blair fan than I am of Bronson. Plus, this is about chicks taking control and not putting up with any bull shit. Try to rape me and I will do more than set out some bear traps and chase you with a cross bow. Keep that thing away from me. I must have a copy of the new Arrow DVD release. Linda Blair says a lot of good things about the film. She talks about her favorite line and the lack of strong female roles around that time. I highly recommend this UK DVD version because it's actually uncut for the first time. When it was originally released on video in Britain, it was right smack in the middle of the video nasty hysteria. I can only imagine how they felt about that infamous rape scene.







SPECIAL FEATURES:
- UNCUT! for the first time in the UK - Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on Savage Streets by Kier-la Janisse, author of ‘A Violent Professional: The Films of Luciano Rossi’ and ‘House of Psychotic Women’
- Brand new transfer of the film presented in original 1.85:1 anamorphic aspect ratio
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with stars Sal Landi, Robert Dryer and Director of Photography Stephen Posey
- Audio commentary with director Danny Steinmann
- Audio commentary with producer John Strong and stars Robert Dryer and Johnny Venocur
- Video interviews with Linda Blair, Linnea Quigley, Robert Dryer and John Strong
- Original Trailer



 The film opens with Brenda (Lina Blair,) her sister Heather (Linnea Quigley,) and her friends roaming the streets of New York City at night. My exact reaction when I saw Linda wearing those sunglasses and acting tough was, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh Linda, I love you." I'm super serial.  At first, I had no idea what I was in for and I contemplated falling asleep. It's good I decided to stick around because I would of missed out on a fairly decent exploitation film. Brenda, Heather, and friends are having a good time until Heather almost gets hits by a car filled with a small gang called The Scars. Heather is deaf. She cannot hear or speak so the honking is pointless. The Scars and The Satins (Brenda's gang) exchange insults and go there separate ways until hours later when The Satins decide to get revenge by hijacking their car and trashing it. Big mistake. The next day at school, The Scars rape deaf-defenseless Heather and it's pretty disturbing. The scene is tasteless and gratuitous but it plays a big part in the revenge plot. I thought Linnea Quigley did a exceptional job. She has absolutely no lines but her facial expressions in the rape scene is the best acting in the whole film. As soon as the first guy rips into her, you can see the pain in her face. I flinched. This is a diverse role for Linnea. We are use to seeing her naked in horror films but we aren't use to seeing her dress up like a 50s good girl that is deaf and cannot even speak. Did she have her boobs done after this film? They seem deceptively small in this flick and I remember them being larger. Brikne Stevens also auditioned for the role of Heather but it went to Linnea Quigley. How do you audition for this role? I need to watch her interview on the film.







Well any way, The Scars beat and rape Heather and Brenda is not happy. During the vicious rape, she was involved in a sexy shower fight in the girl's locker room. On top of this, the leader of The Scars throws her friend Francine off of an overpass. This scene had me shouting, OH NO, NOT FRANCINE! She was pregnant and getting married. In fact, she was walking home after retrieving her wedding dress. What a tragedy. It's time to not only teach The Scars a lesson but chop their dicks off and feed it to them. That doesn't happen but I would have been equally satisfying. Linda Blair decides to take a long bath while she concocts her plan. The power ballad has been cued. The song is "Justice for One" by John Farnham. I thought the nudity was unnecessary but I'm not about to complain about having to see her tits. They're perfect and real! Cherie Currie was originally cast as Brenda. Thank goodness they got Blair. She looks bad ass carrying around that crossbow and she can barely zip her cleavage into that black spandex suit. Everyone seems to think filming The Exorcist damaged her and contributed to her making bad decisions like starring in this film. What's the big deal? This movie is the cat's pajamas.



The high school is so unrealistic, unless you could get away with these things in the 80s. These teenagers are smoking, eating, and cussing in class. There are no campus guards to keep the hoodlums out and keep them from harassing the students. The kids can talk to their teachers about getting head in class. In the locker room, girls can cat fight nude in the showers and they can rip each others blouses open in the class room. The principle at my school would shit himself. I got into trouble for wearing a Playboy Bunny shirt and you don't even want to know how many times I got into trouble for smoking on school grounds. The principle of this school is John Vernon and he has some pretty memorable quotes. Lets go over some of these hilarious quotes:

"I Hope You're Double Jointed, Cause Then You Can Your Ass Goodbye!!"

"Go fuck an ice berg." I'm going to start using this and see who catches it. Too good.

"Now I'm sorry about your sister, Brenda. The police are doing everything they can. But she shouldn't have been there in the first place." Excuse me? Why isn't she allowed in the gym and even so, how does that justify what happened? As if it's her own fault.

"The game's over, bitch. This time you're dead for sure. First I'm gonna fuck you. Then I'm gonna slice you into little pieces."

"I'm gonna hide the salami so far in you, Christopher Columbus is not gonna be able to find it"

"Disco sucks...punk is dead....give me ROCK!...or give me head"

"I have to tinkle so bad I could wring out my socks." Gross.

"Anything over 10 inches is a waste." I also find this to be true.





Overall, this is a decent film that should be fun for everyone. Unless you're one of those hard to please movie snobs. It's so damn entertaining and the characters are fun. They did such a good job developing these characters. Even The Scars had their own personalities. The leader of The Scars had a razor blade earring, that's hardcore. The film was nominated for three Saturn Awards and Linda Blair was nominated as Worst Actress at the Razzie Awards. I think they got robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think before you post

.post-body.entry-content div div { display: none !important; }