Lina Romay: Tragic Loss for Beloved Horror Fans

I have decided to keep the Lina Romay piece to myself because I am going to be writing for other sites here and there and with the baby on its way, I want to have as much content on here as possible for all the times I wont be able to post. Keep an eye on my face book page for future articles on misc websites. I will try to get as much done as possible but I don't have as much time as I would like. This week has been very busy for me with all these shoots and that crazy art event I was involved with last night. Wait till you get a load of that. My brother was in a car accident last night and two of my friends passed away after their car hit a utility poll and burst into flames. It made me think about how time on earth is too short and you never know who will be here with us the following day. Drinking and driving is a serious issue and I will be talking about it on my next video blog. I 'might' make the video tonight. There are some things I want to get out and I want you to see how serious I am about it by looking at my facial expression and hearing the tone of my voice. But I still have to write about last nights event and tonight is girls night so I probably wont get around to it tomorrow. As most of you know, I am a HUGE Lina Romay and Jess Franco fans so I was effected by her passing and wanting to pay tribute.


Horror fans all over the world died a little inside when the passing of Jess Franco's wife and muse, Lina Romay, was made public on February 15. She wasn't even 60 years old but inevitably lost her battle to cancer. The Spanish Goddess may be gone but not forgotten. We will remember her for her beauty, courage, talent, and grace demonstrated through copious exploitation films. She was incredibly audacious and went where so many actresses in the industry were not willing to go. In addition to acting and modeling, she worked on numerous films as a writer, director, producer, and assistant editor. It's almost unheard of to have a compiled list of women in horror films without coming across her name. Fan boys every where often present her name immediately when discussing vivacious beauties of 70's cinema. I first discovered Lina Romay eleven years ago when I came across a copy of Erotikill on VHS and I've been in love ever since.

Lina Romay entered the world under the name Rosa Maria Aimirall Martinez on June 25, 1954 in Barcelona. After graduating high school and studying the arts she married an actor and photographer, Raymond Hardy, and eventually began acting on stage. It's not clear how long her marriage to Hardy lasted. She made her debut in The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein as a gypsy girl. Upon meeting Jess Franco in 1971, she began appearing in many of his films and chose the name Lina Romay because of her love and admiration for the actress and jazz artist from the 1940s. Romay and Franco became a couple and lived together for years but they didn't officially tie the knot until April 23, 2008. The pair was inseparable, charming, and completed devoted. There's no denying their love for one another.

Romay was a proud exhibitionist that often performed oral sex and lesbianism in X-Rated films. Some of the more notable features she was involved with are; Female Vampire aka The Bare Breasted Countess, Exorcism, Barbed Wire Dolls, Caged Women, Women Behind Bars, Jack the Ripper, Mansion of the Living Dead, Faceless, Shatter Dead, and my personal favorite - Demoniac. The goddess appeared in more than a hundred films without any professional training and posed for nude pictorials in men's magazines like Cinema X. You would think that she was an outspoken wild child judging from her career but the people closest to her described her as a quiet, soft spoken woman.

This is a tragic loss horror fans were not ready for. You're an inspiration to me Lina. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think before you post

.post-body.entry-content div div { display: none !important; }