Texas Frightmare Weekend 2014

It's that time of year for horror and sci/fi conventions and Texas Frightmare Weekend is at the top of the list. This was my 7th time going and I have to express how happy I am that I decided to take a break this year and just be one of the regular convention attendees. Normally I am sitting at a booth promoting my work, hosting, or part of the press. It was fun having a different point of view for a change. Next year I will likely be promoting Hanukkill but this year I just wanted zero responsibilities. It's hard to pick a favorite memory. I always come back with amazing stories on our wild adventures. Past adventures include; Performing the Human Centipede live with the director and villain in on it. Trading clothes with director Yoshihiro Nishimura. Throwing tampons while dragging a friend around on a leash. Spending the interview evening with Norman Reedus giving me scoops for the second season of The Walking Dead. The list goes on and on. Note: All of these photos are out of order. Rearranging them is a big pain in the ass and I don't feel like it.

This year my favorite would have to be dancing on stage with Night of the Demons own Kevin Tenney and Amelia Kinkade. Those of you who actually know me or have been following me for years know that Night of the Demons is my favorite horror film of all time so I'm sure you could imagine the joy in my eyes from all the excitement. This was also a making in history as Kinkade, Tenney, and Linnea Quigley have NEVER done a panel together over Night of the Demons. Every Friday night they have some gigantic costume theme party that resembles a prom setting. Violet VanDoren and I spent the majority of our night with Kevin Tenney. Well I actually spent the majority of the evening on his lap. I have interviewed Tenney numerous times and corresponded with him on several occasions but this was my first time meeting him in the flesh. He was actually the one that coined The Gash with me and Dai, "The View with PMS!" During our conversation the song Stigmata Martyr played and Amelia Kinkade got on stage to dance. Me being me, I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT! "OMG Kevin, we have to go on stage and join her!" So we did and of course my phone was dying so I didn't get any pictures of this epic moment but I know there were several of you there taking pictures and video. Please send me those photos! Kinkade was also a professional ballerina so it was nice dancing side by side and exchanging stories of our toes bleeding. Had someone told me when I was 8 that I would be dancing with Angela from Night of the Demons, I would not have believed it. On top of this, Twiggy Ramirez popped up as the DJ. There were actually a lot more musicians at the con this year than anywhere before. We've had Alice Cooper and others but this year we had Twiggy, Dee Snider, Ace Frehley, and Corey Taylor.  

Moving on to the Night of the Demons panel, I have several photos and video footage. There were stories told that had never been told before and I was almost in tears from laughing so hard. I asked for their favorite behind the scenes moments and how it feels to be a part of a film that has become such a huge success at least amongst horror fans. Kinkade expressed the grueling experience of the make-up process that would take hours and bring gaping wounds to her face. She also opened up about the make-up effects for the snake in the sequel and how fun it was to film the scenes of her floating in the hall way with roller skates on. This was before CGI and the effects are outstanding. It's remarkable how they were able to pull all of this off given their budget. Some of the smoke that was used came from a gentleman smoking cigarettes and blowing the smoke up Kinkade's skirt. Kevin talked about his struggles to get that miraculous shot of the broken mirror which stands out as one of my favorite and most intricate shots in a horror film. Kevin Tenney does not get enough credit for his directing talents. The man is a visionary genius. It's funny because he was actually not a fan of horror films when he was handed the script. Linnea opened up about how she was worried she would be too old for the part which she has expressed on many occasions. 

The Paradise Lost panel was a moment of beauty. It's hard to believe that five years ago my partner in horror Jason Hughes and I sold Jason's "Free the West Memphis Three" t-shirts at TFW with all the proceeds going towards their benefit. For years I had donated money to and supported those three and now standing before us is Jason Baldwin, a free man. There were moments where the crowd and Baldwin's wife began to cry. I was almost in tears myself. I always believed their innocence but I feared they would have spent the rest of their lives in jail. I uploaded video footage from the panel on my Facebook. I will try to figure out how to add it here when I can but in the meantime I can tell you that Jason was happy to answer several questions. He explained that he wasn't sure about appearing at a horror convention at first but he thought the fans deserved to hear him out and to prove that there's nothing wrong with horror movies, metal music, or dressing out of the ordinary. In fact, he and Damien were watching Leprechaun the night they got arrested and he claims the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street films are his favorites. God bless you, Jason. Speaking of God, Jason claims he IS a spiritual person and two of the things that got him through these horrific times were his family and God. It's hard to remember all the fascinating stories he told but the few that stand out are his first viewing of Paradise Lost, going to Disney Land, and he enlightened us on the status of Jessie Misskelly. Unfortunately, Jessie's dad isn't doing so well but Jessie has a heart of gold and is by his father's side. I wish I had more to say about this panel. I think I was just so overwhelmed by joy and excitement, I didn't stop to think that I should record more of these memories. If only we had more time with him at the panel but they had to fly to Arkansas for the Devil's Knot screening. They DID fly back to Dallas the next day which is remarkable. I got a couple of shout outs at the panel the autograph Jason gave me was filled with kindness from the bottom of his heart and gratitude from all that I had done in support. This Texas Frightmare Weekend of 2014 made history.

Here are some photos of us supporting the WM3 years ago... Devanny Pinn and Tara Cardinal also bought some of Jason's shirts.




Saturday is always when things get hectic. There's a ridiculous amount of people with hundreds of people standing in lines. I order room service because there's no way in hell I am waiting that long to eat. The elevators are a lot of fun too. Something I have to complain about every year is that it's rude to STOP in the middle of the ballroom when you have several people trying to get by you. I know that there are a lot of eye drawing costumes but at least move to the side. Also, some of you clearly do not wear any deodorant which is just gross. It's not like it's expensive. It's not just the males. There was a very attractive girl dressed as a zombie who smelled so horrible I actually began to gag. You need to respect the noses of those around you and I am not trying to be mean. I'm sure everyone else agrees. Take a shower and wear deodorant. Puhlease. Any way, when the sun goes down, that's when we put on our sexy dresses and get our drink on……. Again. This night I decided to go to Abel Berry and Jennifer Stone's party. I adore these two and enjoy seeing them every year. They played their trailer for their new film which looks amazing. Blood Sombrero! Google it. We called Dai Green to sing Happy Birthday and we made a video singing it yet again. After this we ventured off to yet another hotel party. I have no idea how I was able to stay awake. Both Friday and Saturday I drank Moonshine with the Soska's and I had Vodka and beer on top of it. I bartender Thursday night and drove all the way to Dallas as soon as I got off so it put me in a not so pleasant mood. However, I still remained my sweet self when I came into contact with everyone except for the female bartender Saturday night who gave me the worst service I had ever had. I have considered contacting the bar about it because the service was so horrible. If you cannot handle large crowds then you have no business being behind a bar. Put a smile on your face and pretend you are happy to be there. NEVER yell at the customers. Sorry if anyone caught that unpleasant exchange. I should have asked for a manager instead of continuing to talk to her and make sense out of her behavior.

By Sunday everyone is exhausted and ready to go home. We do not want the party to stop but we are all getting older and worn out. I had a great time and I love my Frightmare family almost as much as my real family! Thank you to all my Facebook followers and readers for all the compliments and support. I may not recognize all of you but that doesn't mean you are not important to me.
 
Hanging out with the lead singer of Skid Row
Funny story behind this. While I was taking a pee break I checked my Facebook messages. I have a group PM with Mike, Alex, and Josh. I decided to send them this lovely photo as proof that I was peeing.
The Soskas gave me Moonshine

1 comment:

  1. Good times, good times, lady!! Had a blast hanging with you!

    ReplyDelete

Think before you post

.post-body.entry-content div div { display: none !important; }