Songs From Horror Movies That Are SO Fetch

While I have written about the best soundtracks in horror for a few publications, I have never compiled a list of catchy songs from horror films that are worth mentioning. These songs stay with you long after the film has ended. If I left a song off the list that you feel is worth mentioning, comment below!

Haute Tension:
Sara Perche Ti Amo - Ricchi e Poveri

This catchy Italian song plays towards the beginning of the film when the two girls are driving. I wish there were an English version of this song for me to belt out. I totally saw the twist ending coming. 




(Carrie)
Song: I Never Dreamed Someone Like You Could Want Someone Like Me - Katie Irving

Officially one of my favorite novels and films of all time. Stephen King and Brian De Palma are masters of their craft. The score provided by Pino Donaggio rests on my shelf proudly but this dreamy tune that's playing during the slow dance sequence isn't. If you scroll down, you can see a GIF to the right from the scene. I remember watching the film for the hundredth time before I was off to Israel. I was at a Holocaust museum with my mom when I began singing this song. One of the tour members asked what I was singing. My mother was terrified and embarrassed when I gave her my answer. 



(Insidious)
Song: Tip Toe Through the Tulips - Tiny Tim

Ever so creepy! Fun fact, my brother and I indulge in juke box trolling wars with all the local bars. We have the app where you don't even have to be in the building for it to play. We play this all the time to fuck with the bartenders. That and Hava Negila. 




(1408)
Song: We've Only Just Begun - The Carpenters




(Hardware)
Song: The Order of Death - Public Image Ltd



(American Psycho)
Song: Hip to Be Square - Huey Lewis and the News

To be fair, this entire soundtrack is catchy with several #1 80's hits. It was hard for me to settle on one song.  Chopping into Jared Leto with an ax took the running.



(Phenomena)
Song: Flash of the Blade - Iron Maiden

One of my favorite horror movie soundtracks. People like to argue that the song's out of place but I strongly disagree. Plus, it's Iron FUCKING Maiden!




(The Hunger)
Song: Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus

Trio in E Flat almost made the cut. 



(Donnie Darko)
Song: Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears

Some of these are so hard to choose from! Joy Division, INXS, The Church, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Gary Jules' version of Mad World. Director Richard Kelly has great taste in movies. I wanted to feature a song from his 2009 film The Box but I couldn't find the scenes on You Tube.



(The Guest)
Song: Anthonio - Berlin

Another soundtrack favorite! It's the perfect mixture of electronica, post goth dark wave.



(Once Bitten)
Song: Hands Off - Maria Vidal

Ridiculously catchy and cheesy. "I'm not wearing a costume!"



(Fallen)
Song: Time is on My Side - The Rolling Stones

Incredible opening scene with carefully selected music to fit the mood. This set the tone for the film and did I mention how much I loathe Denzel Washington?



(The Lost Boys)
Song: Cry Little Sister - Gerard McMann

We use to ride around town blasting this soundtrack. Several great tracks included in this film.



(Scream)
Song: Whisper to a Scream - SoHo

The first film had the best soundtrack, hands down. This catchy little number played during the credits. You were expecting Red Right Hand, weren't you?



(Scream 2)
Song: I Think I Love You - Cover by Less Than Jake

My initial pick was Lucky Day in Hell by The Eels. I Think I Love you was serenaded by Sydney's boyfriend in the cafeteria and this magical cover plays during the credits following some dopey 90s ballad.



(Silence of the Lambs)
Song: Goodbye Horses - Q Lazzarus



(Gremlins)
Song: Christmas - Rockin Ricky Rialto

This opening always puts a smile on my face. Yes, Do You Hear What I hear should be on here too.



(The Stand)
Song: Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult



(The House of the Devil)
Song: One Thing Leads to Another - The Fixx



(Cat People)
Song: Putting Out the Fire - David Bowie



(The Crow)
Song: Dead Souls - Covered by Nine Inch Nails

Because, duh.


(Tuff Turf)
Song: Love Hates - Marianne Faithful

Tuff Turf isn't really a horror film. It's one of those punk thrillers with so much violence, you almost consider them to be a horror film. However, this is tame if you consider Class of 84. The film features The Jim Carroll Band whom I lerv to pieces.



(Class of 84)
Song: I am the Future - Alice Cooper



(Nightmare on Elm Street 4: Dream Master)
Song: Pride and Joy - Joe Lamont

This number is playing on the juke box at the Crave Inn. This sequel is a guilty pleasure of mine. Roll your eyes all you want, it's fucking awesome. Additional catchy songs that I lerv; The opening theme Running From This Nightmare by the film's star Tuesday Knight, Anything Anything by Dramarama, and I Want Your Hands on Me by Sinead O'Connor which is playing during my favorite kill - Debbie turned into a roach. I have the action figure of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think before you post

.post-body.entry-content div div { display: none !important; }